Sunday, May 27, 2007

Featured Artist of the Week

This week's featured artist is



Here is our interview with artist, Darcy. She does some beautiful mixed media work.

Briefly describe what you make?
I am a mixed media artist. I work mostly from intuitive emotion, allowing my pieces
to develop and grow, while exploring color and texture within human personnas that
are somewhat abstract or considered "outsider art" by nature. I hope to touch my
viewers with these pieces, striking a chord in them that evokes there own emotions
and interpretations about the piece. And at the very least, I hope to make them
smile!

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?
I love acrylics, watercolor crayons and oil pastels. I also love the divine
serendipity of collage. Recently, I have been combining traditional with digital
mixed media collage.

How long have you been creating craft?
Ever since I was a kid. I always loved art.

How did you get started?
My father always encouraged my creativity, and though I attended art school, I really
feel that it's only in the past 7 years or so that I have let go of trying to fit
any one genre, and just go with my own style of working. Keeping an Art Journal
liberated me tremendously in this area.

Where does the name of your shop come from?
Creating art brings me great joy and my hope is to pass that joy along to my viewers
and buyers. Hence the name Art n Joy!

What would you most want people to know about your work?
That it's unique, eclectic, and colorful. And that I will do custom work but not
in the conventional sense, which of course you would probably realize when you view
my work. I like to take people and put them in a kind of theme of their request. I
recently did a piece for a woman with her two Torkinese cats called The Cat Lady.
And I'm now working on a piece for a woman who wants me to use her boyfriend in an
illusionist theme.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?
Follow your heart and soul. Don't compare yourself to other artists.
Silence your inner critics, and create art that makes you feel good.
Play and have fun!

_______________________________

You must go to Darcy's site - ART N JOY and see the beautiful work that she does.

While you are at Etsy looking at Darcy's work, come over and take a look at


No comments: