Sunday, May 20, 2007

Featured Artist of the Week

This week's featured artist is Quenna of Blissful. This is a fabulous fiber artist.



Here is our interview with the artist:

Describe what you make?
I make fabric accessories (wallets, zippered pouches, wristlets) and handbags.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?
I love working with cotton fabrics and textured fabrics (velvet, moleskin). But I'm also a knitter and love whatever feels good underneath my chin -- merinos, cashmere, cotton.

How long have you been creating craft?
I've been crafting as long as I can remember! My mom says I was always pestering her to show me how to do things (sewing, knitting). My earliest memory was learning to cast on for knitting.

How did you get started?
In terms of selling my work, I got started when a friend hosted a trunk show after seeing one of my self-designed sweaters. I remembered sitting in a corner feeling so embarrassed that people would like and even buy my stuff!

I started selling on Etsy, after being a secret lurker for months, on a whim. After a few days, I was shocked to sell something and slowly more sales trickled in.

Where does the name of your shop come from?
Blissful is a favorite word of mine. I like how it rolls off my tongue and how it evokes joy, peace in an old fashion sense. I hope my buyers feel the same way when they open up my packages!

What would you most want people to know about your work?
My work can be described in three phrases:

a. classic lines - I like simple, straightforward lines so my work will last several seasons.

b. functional design - I am a practical designer at heart, so my items will tend to be multi-functional and well thought out. If it works, you will use it and be happy :)

c. fun prints - I really enjoy working with the Japanese novelty prints, Asian florals, and retro patterns -- anything that brings a smile or a sigh, I'm buying it!

Also, I take pride in what I make so everything is designed and made with durability in mind.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?
- Try to find your own sense of style/design and develop it -- whether it's in your materials, products offered, color -- so you can stand out.
- Try to make what you enjoy, your enthusiam will spill over during the process of making and selling.
- If you're in the business of selling, you have to start thinking like a business person - pricing that includes labor, fees, overhead, and materials, find ways to market yourself, take good photographs, have great customer service, evaluate what's working and what's not and etc.

___________________

You must see Quenna's work at her shop - Blissful! She also has a blog site and that is also not to be missed.

While you are at Etsy looking at Blissful please be sure to also visit us at our shop!


No comments: