Sunday, January 27, 2008

Featured Artist

This featured artist is a jewelry maker. Come meet the artist, Marsha



Describe what you make?

I make unique jewelry for unique people. I try to think outside the box and put the components together in unexpected ways.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I love metalsmithing – sterling silver and copper specifically. I took a class about a year ago and fell in love immediately. I am gathering the many needed supplies slowly but have started making my own headpins and ear wires. The items I’ve made with them will soon be available in my shop.

How long have you been creating craft?

I’ve been officially selling my creations since mid-November 2007. But I’ve always loved working with my hands and making tangible things.

How did you get started?

I was checking some postings on another site I belong to and noticed a link to a 10% off advertisement for a seller of handmade jewelry. I didn’t care much for the shop’s items but after searching around Etsy for a while I was in awe that so many people could make and sell such beautifully crafted items. I immediately wanted to learn how I could make my own items.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

It’s a play on my initials – sort of. I use “mero” as part of some of my email account names. M for Marsha, E for my middle initial, and RO the first two letters of my last name. A friend once said my email out loud and I realized it didn’t read to people the way it read to me so I added an E.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

I want it to be something that you look forward to wearing and that puts a little spring in your step!

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Don’t give up! I started majoring in Fine Arts in college and then decided it wasn’t practical. That was almost 9 years ago. I wish I had, at the very least, kept it up as a hobby. I could be so much further along in my craft than I am now. But it’s never too late.
And take a leap of faith. It’s such a cliché but when someone said it to me and I took it to heart, I felt like the possibilities were closer to me than they would usually seem.

__________________

Terrific artist. Great shop. Come see Marsha's work at her shop.

While you are at Etsy come by and see what we have - already for Valentine's Day!



1 comment:

capitolagirl said...

Great feature and cute shop!