Sunday, January 20, 2008

Featured Artist

We are featuring another glass artist. This glass artist specializes in making glass beads. These beads are beautiful - and while intended to be added to jewelry creations, each of these beads stands out as a piece of art on its own! Come with me to speak with the artist, Michael at his shop -



Describe what you make?

I love working with glass. I make beads using a technique known as lampworking. It is the oldest form of glassblowing that dates back as early as Mesopotamia.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I use glass, silver, copper, platinum, and CZs.

How long have you been creating craft?

I have been working with molten glass about 2 years.

How did you get started?

15 years ago I bought all the equipment, but i was in college. My roommate couldn't believe that I left several hundreds of dollars worth of equipment sitting in the basement and started teaching himself. He spent 7 to 10 years learning and I watched. Two years ago, I took a break from fiber arts to play with the torch. I have been hooked ever since.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

Because I feel Carl (Flamekist) has established master status, I frequently saw myself as his Protege, thus the name.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

I am always striving for growth. I feel that I can only get better. I take care to make sure that the work I put out there is quality.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Don't be your worst critic. If you don't like something you have done, put it away for a while. You might be surprised by what you have created if you take a step back. I give work away all the time that I felt was disappointing, only to see it later and wish i hadn't!
______________________

There you have it! This is a great shop. You must see this beautiful glass work! Please visit Protege.

No comments: