Sunday, January 6, 2008

Featured Artist

This week's featured artist is


Here is our interview with the artist -

Describe what you make.

I had a hard time coming up with a word or phrase that would serve as a catch-all description for what I make. I even asked for suggestions on Etsy’s forums. Some said ephemera, paper goods, stationery miscellany, paper notions, sundries, even “A plethora of potpourri!” None of which really struck me. I finally decided upon “Delightful Etceteras.” And that is what I make.

I started the shop to showcase my photography. I make gorgeous cards with my photographs. However, I love to craft and I soon started adding other items to my shop: waterdrop magnets, bookmarks, squash books, and mini cards. Then I added more. And more. And more. And now I have a beautiful little Etsy shop full of delightful etceteras!

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I have an addiction to paper. I always have. I love going in to a store and looking at all the beautiful papers that are available. It causes me physical pain to leave a store without buying paper!

I am inspired by these papers. I prefer the elegant, heavy, pearlescent papers I find. However, I have learned that not everyone prefers to look at these wonderful papers, so I have added other designs as well.

How long have you been creating craft?

I have always loved arts and crafts. I always loved art class in school. I always had crayons and markers and paper and coloring books around me. I always had some crafty project going on whether it was making enough Christmas ornaments to fill our 9 foot tree (I make a new and different set every year) or crocheting a blanket or simply making a card. I only recently narrowed my passion to use what I truly love…paper!

How did you get started?

I bought too much paper! I wasn’t doing anything with it. I started taking classes at a local stamp store as an outlet for my creativity which was stifled by working long hours. As I created more and more, I wanted to create more and more. The ideas were flowing! But I held back because I thought, "Why should I make all this 'stuff' if it’s just going to sit here?" Then I discovered Etsy and was thrilled that I could sell what I love to make! Every sale I have means that I can create more!

Where does the name of your shop come from?

It is my name and the first part of my email address. When I got married I wanted to use jenniferboston for my email address but it was taken! So, I had to add the “a” which is my middle initial. I actually didn’t know that my Etsy username was going to be my shop address. If I had, I would have probably used something different. However, I was in such an excited hurry to start that I might have just used what I have now!
What would you most want people to know about your work?

That I love making absolutely everything in my shop. I enjoy every project and all the work that goes into each item. I use materials that really speak to me and strike me esthetically. I would buy the items I make and that’s saying a lot!

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

I would advise not expecting too much. I know, it’s a pessimist’s point of view. But if you think about it, it makes sense. Do what you love. If others don’t love it also, then who cares? Work as hard as you can and do all you can do. If you have done all you can do, then that is all you can do! Sounds redundant, but it’s true. You’ll be able to sleep at night knowing you did your best and that’s always enough!

No comments: