Thursday, March 24, 2011

FEATURED ARTIST

Our features focus most often on craft - here we have a feature on art - a painter.




Here is our interview with the artist, Krishala.
Briefly describe what you make?

I am primarily a painter, and initially started by painting pop art works. Lately this has developed into a line of prints in my Etsy shop. Recently, i have picked up a camera and am enjoying photography. I have my 2 year old son all day with me so photography tends to be easier to do while looking after him. We go for wolks and I capture the landscapes. I will get back to painting in the fall, and will be creating larger pieces, still working with oils, and also experimenting with acrylics. I also have a clothing line, Jalousie, which is in my shop - this was created for the fun of designing a 'line' but my true passion is painting.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I used to only work with oils. Lately i have been experimenting with acrylics. one thing I don't like about acrylics is that you cannot manipulate your piece over and over again as you can with oils. I do intend to try watercolour in the near future, after seeing a wonderful local exhibition which inspired me which was entirely watercolour.

How long have you been creating craft?

Only sine 2008! Just after the birth of my son, Leon. I was at home all night and he just slept and slept. so I needed something creative to do! I enjoyed art classes in school, but really my passion for art started in the summer of 2008. When I was nineteen I was very into abstract photography. I lived in Santa Monica, California and the landscapes and greenery were amazing.

How did you get started?

My boyfriend who was a photographer kept pushing me and pushing me to try and do something creative. I think he wanted to live with a like minded artist! I tried one night with a small canvas panel on the kitchen table, and was very proud of what I created. Around the same time I discovered Etsy and as soon as i started gaining hearts on my first few items, I was hooked. (Literally, Etsy is addictive people!) I would paint at night at the kitchen until one night my boyfriend came home with a huge industrial easel.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

Acacias is where i used to live. It's a suburb of Geneva, Switzerland. I added gallery as I thought it would seem more professional. The region is named after the tree Acacias.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

That I am constant exploring and trying new things, and that I put my heart into my work! I don't have formal art training, but I have been thinking of finally taking some lessons to further develop my work. I would like people to think my work is edgy, some of it isn't and I go through phases of just painting 'pretty things' but then I always have the desire to be a bit more rough, and towards the style of pop or modernism. I like the idea and hope that some people are following what I do, and seeing me grow as an artist.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Something that I struggle with is that I don't have a distinct style. You don't yet see a piece of mine and instantly recognize it as mine. That is something i believe can really work for you, having a signature style. Also, take good photos of your work. My earliest works which have since sold, some of them I took slightly blurry photos of them. This means sadly that I can never sell them as prints. If you take crisp excellent photos of your work, your work can live on in pendants, prints, postcards, you name it!

Also have faith in what your producing. I am getter better at believing in my work. I used to be insecure as I hadn't gone to school for art, but now I realize what I am creating is unique and precious, even if it won't be to everyone's taste, someone out there will hopefully love it.

Lastly, as another artist on Etsy told me, don't forget to paint! Then paint some more! You can get so caught up in twitter, the forums etc that you forget to produce. Sure marketing is important but try to produce new work as often as you can.

-------------------------------

Krishala does very nice work. Come and see her shop!

No comments: