Tuesday, June 15, 2010

FEATURED ARTIST

Here is an artist that creates new things from old. Come and meet



Here is our interview with the artist, Jennifer -

Briefly describe what you make?

I have a line of clothing and gifts made with vintage linens, sterling and other fun things from the past. My "tag line" is - Through our collecting we pass on the linens of our mothers & grandmothers to our daughters & grand daughters.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I start with 100% cotton dresses, shirts, onesies and then add all different types of vintage linens : handkerchieves, chenille bed covers, table runners, doilies, etc

How long have you been creating craft?

I think I started my first company in grade school - i made button covers and sold them at my chirch gift shop. I have had some sort of "thing" going my whole life. My grandmother (who will be 90 in Sept) started sewing as a child, she taught my mom, and my mom saught me when I was 12. Southern Yankee is the first business that has taken hold!

How did you get started?

I studied Fashion at Texas Tech University, so I am "formally" trained. But it was my first Christmas as a newly wed that started Southern Yankee. I made our chirstmas card and mo co-workers loved it and said I should sell them. It just happened a sorority sister (ZTA) of mine was opening a Papyrus Stationery in NYC, so I started making greeing cards in 1999. I was also collecting vintage handkerchiefs at that time, to make blankets... well the rest, as they say, is history!

Where does the name of your shop come from?

When I was starting my company, my mom asked " what best describes you?" I was born and raised in Dallas, TX and marries a "yankee".

What would you most want people to know about your work?

That I love doing it! it is my creative outlet in my crazy little world (my kids are 9, 5 & 3!) My favorite thing is doing shows and seeing peoples reactions to my dresses!

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Go for it! life is too short to have regrets! Even if it is just a hobby or a corner in the kitchen, do what makes you feel good!


-------------------------------------------

Great interview. Nice work. Come see Jennifer's creations!

No comments: