Monday, March 10, 2008

Featured Artist

Our artist is a glass artist. Working in glass always intrigues me. A friend once told me that you can always tell a glass artist by the bandaids on her fingers. I don't know if our featured artist has any bandaids, but her work is beautiful. Come meet Carrie of




Here is our interview with Carrie -

Briefly describe what you make?

I create custom leaded stained glass windows, hanging panels, cabinet inserts, and many various smaller gift items such as mirrors, candle holders, picture frames jewelry boxes, sun catchers, coasters, and many more things.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I am first an artist using various mediums, pencil, charcoal, watercolor,conte,I also started working with stained glass, but pride myself on not using other people's patterns. Most of my pieces are unique, created by me unless a client wants otherwise.

How long have you been creating craft?

I've been working with stained glass for 11 years.

How did you get started?

I lived on the east coast, and my husband built this fabulous wine cellar with bricks from a demolished 1817 building in New Bedford. We wanted a window for the cellar, went around trying to find one when I decided i wanted to make my own. I took classes in Boston and the rest is history! I loved creating so much, I had to start selling some in order to afford to buy materials to make more. I started doing craft fairs, finally along with a good friend, we had our own Christmas gift show every year and word of mouth spread. I worked with builders and interior designers. I only did commissioned work from then on. I've since moved and now have to start over to establish myself in a new market that already has stained glass studios.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

Instead of Designed with Class, I substituted Glass.
What would you most want people to know about your work?

It's all created with the utmost care and with no shortcuts, If I don't think a piece looks good, I'll re-do it. All my designs are one-of-a-kind. I love to work with in peoples budget so they can have what they want.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Just to keep doing what you love, try to have a lot of self-confidence, be able to take rejection, not everyone will love your work. That's what makes us so unique! Do what makes you happy first then worry about the money, otherwise, you'll grow to despise your craft.

____________________________________

Great! You have got to see Carrie's work. Come visit her Etsy Shop

I also invite you to come see my newly, redesigned site, Pop Goes the Needle
It features an art medium that many of you are probably not familiar with. Come take a look!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

beautiful work -- I haven't run across this shop on Etsy yet so I was glad to read this entry. Thanks!