Thursday, August 5, 2010

FEATURED ARTIST

This week's artist makes tree sculptures - come and meet




Here is our interview with the artist, Apryl:


Briefly describe what you make?

I sculpt trees using artistic wire, Brazilian agate, gemstones, and often other materials. I do some home decor but my focus truly is wedding cake toppers.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I absolutely love wire. There is nothing more exciting than pulling it off the spool and twisting it into a piece of art. Trees are very free form and natural so I love how the wire lends itself to creating different types of branches.

How long have you been creating craft?

Like a lot of people I've always been a crafter. I've probably tried just about everything there is to try that doesn't involve an open flame. I'm clumsy and no one will let me go that far!

How did you get started?

I started making tree sculptures in 2004. My grandmother taught me how to create them. She and my grandfather were also crafters and were often on the road going show to show. It means a lot to me that my grandmother shared her talent with me and has helped me grow this successful business! Shes my biggest cheerleader and is always asking me what I'm doing that is new and exciting.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

I thought I was being creative and when I proudly announced to my grandparents I was going to call my business Original Creations By Apryl they laughed and said that Original Creations was the name of their shop when they were in business. At the time I was creating more than just trees or I'm sure I'd have come up with some whimsical wire tree name.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

I customize beyond gemstones! I have a wall display just for my beads and I've worked with some of my customers to create pieces using glass, acrylic, wood, and other materials. I've just started to break into more work like this in the last year and I hope it will continue to grow.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Don't spread yourself too thin and don't be afraid to evolve. When I started I made wire wrap jewelry and trees. I did well for awhile but over time the trees picked up and the jewelry wasn't doing so well. I dropped the jewelry line and concentrated on the trees. I developed ornaments, favors, cake toppers, and more customized work. Once I had a focus things really started to take off!

______________________

Great interview! Come see Apryl's work here and then come back and comment. Also read Apryl's personal site here!

No comments: