Thursday, August 12, 2010

FEATURED ARTIST

This shop makes soap - but really not just soap that you might buy at a grocery store but soap that is very, very special. Come and meet -




Here is our interview with the artist, Karina


Briefly describe what you make?

Soap That Makes Scents is a handmade bath and beauty company. We live and play in New York City, one of the best places to network in the world. All of the high quality ingredients used in our vegan soap bars, lip balms, body souffles and salt bars are found right in the Tri-State area.


What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I love exploring different fragrance and essential oils and getting inspired by them. Scents invoke memories, feelings, emotions, and thoughts. Our Orange Dreamsicle soap bar may make you remember your childhood...chasing down the street after the ice-cream truck and tasting that cool, sweet and creamy sensation of your youth. Pumpkin Spice Body Souffle makes you remember the crunch of vibrant Fall leaves underneath your feet when walking through a forest, or spending time with your family during the holidays. Scents bring feelings. They bring life. We want to give a slice of life with every bar we create.


How long have you been creating craft?

Soap That Makes Scents became established in 2001...I'm originally from Canada, so I started making bath and body products there. After meeting my American-born husband, I dug up my roots and transplanted myself to New York! The business went full-time in 2006.


How did you get started?

Growing up, when most kids wanted to become ballerinas, or firemen, my standard answer to the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?" was always "I want to be the boss." When I hit my early twenties, I knew I didn't want to work for someone else forever, I wanted to work for myself. After taking a soapmaking class on a whim I immediately fell in love with the idea of working with colors and blending scents; I've never looked back.


Where does the name of your shop come from?

We wanted to convey to people that not only where handmade soaps superior to commercially-made chemical bars, but that our customers were smarter than companies give them credit for. Today's consumer is well-educated on not only what they want to put in their bodies, but also what they want to put *on* their bodies. Our business is soap. And buying our soap makes sense. Put that together with our undying love for all things fragrant---the name Soap That Makes Scents was born!


What would you most want people to know about your work?

That we love "talking shop" any chance we get! Soap-makers jump at the opportunity to educate someone about our creative process, the benefits of certain ingredients out there compared to others that may be more "mainstream", misconceptions about handmade soaps, etc. So convo me anytime---to ask a question about a soap you've fallen in love with, a custom scent you want created especially for you, or to discuss what ingredients would suit your tastes best---I'll talk your ear off!


What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Do not expect a flock of buyers in your store the moment you list your first item. Networking is extremely important all of the time, but even more so in the beginning stages of your business. It does take time to build a customer base, and things won't happen magically overnight, no matter how original and exciting your items are. Promote to your target audience instead of just anyone: you'll save a lot of time, energy and money this way.

________________________

Great soap. And Karina tells me that her husband, Richard will be joining the business very shortly! Come and see this shop! And then come on back and leave a comment!

No comments: