Thursday, August 19, 2010

FEATURED ARTIST

We have a fiber artist to meet - come and say hello to:



Here is our interview with the artist, Grace -

Briefly describe what you make?

I make hand-crocheted items including fashion accessories, appliques, housewares etc. The reason I make such a wide variety of products is because crocheting, for me, is so much more than just a way to make money listing random stuff...it's an art. Just like an artist never paints the same thing twice I don't like to only make the same thing over and over. Everything in my shop is made with a lot of thought.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I love working with cotton! It's so strong and sturdy. It also comes in so many bright, bold colors that the possibilities are endless. I also love working with other natural fibers such as wool, bamboo and alpaca although items made from those fibers have not been added to my shop yet. But...fear not...more fun fibers are soon to come. :)

How long have you been creating craft?

Well, I've been creating things since I was old enough to hold a crayon. When it comes to crocheting I have been stitching for 3 years now. Once I set my mind to learning something new there's no stopping me; I have been able to learn so many techniques, tips, and patterns in the last 3 years. :)

How did you get started?

I got started when my Mom bought a how-to-crochet book and showed it to me. I had wanted to learn how to crochet and this book had such wonderful illustrations and directions. I learned how to make my first granny square the day I learned to crochet.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

My Dad is actually the one who came up with the name (he's the best). I was homeschooled during the vast majority of my school career so I was trying to find a word that included "home" somehow; something that communicated the fact that I was brought up at home. The fact that I work with yarn made the word "Homespun" just totally made sense. It combined the homeschool and yarn factor. The word "Handmaiden" is a pretty word that referred to my love to serve my family and God. It also included "handmade" only spelled differently. So...needless to say there's a lot of meaning in my name and I just love it (and it's all thanks to my great dad).

What would you most want people to know about your work?

Every stitch is made by me with great love and care. I am really picky about my work being absolutely perfect. So if I am a few rows into a scarf, for example, and I see that there's a stitch that's a little bulky and uneven, I will unravel what I just did and fix that one stitch. I care very much about quality and bringing back some of the forgotten arts and crafts. There's a lot to be said about those time-intensive crafts that all of our grandmothers knew how to do, learning them ourselves, and taking them to the next level...making them appealing to this generation and generations to come.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Don't be tempted to follow trends. If there's something on Etsy that's really popular and you happen to love it then go for it! :) But don't try to go along with a trend just because it's a trend. Popular themes come and go; colors, animals, etc. but a unique style is something that you can truly claim as your own.

-----------------------------------------------------

Great interview! Come and see Grace's work and then come on back and leave a comment of appreciation!

No comments: