Thursday, July 29, 2010

New Camera

I recently moved up to my first digital SLR camera - Canon's newest model - T2i. Getting this camera was not easy. It was released this March and almost immediately sold out everywhere. It took until just recently for me to get a hold of one of my own. I did a lot of research and looked and tried a number of cameras until I decided that this is the one. One major factor was price range. You can purchase a DSLR anywhere from $500 to $4000. My budget was $1000 and I wanted to get the most for the money at the best quality. For those who are not heavily into photography, a DSLR is a digital camera with interchangeable lenses and what you see in the viewfinder is not an electronic representation of what the camera sees but the actual view through the lens brought to the viewfinder with a mirror. Essentially, what you see is what you get - with the ability to make any adjustment possible in exposure, lighting, tone, depth of field, etc. Way back before digital cameras I did shoot a film SLR - which I still have - but let's face it with the ability to shoot digitally whatever you see at no cost in film or developing - well.

I have been shooting professionally with a Canon that is in-between a DSLR and a Point in Shoot and all of the photos that I have sold up to now have been with that camera. I have even won photo competitions with that camera and have gallery displayed my work. But it was time to make the move and now with 18 megapixels and a high tech camera I am hoping to expand both my market and my ability to capture what I see.

Here is a photo from my first excursion out to take pictures.


The photo was actually the worst of the pictures that I took that day and I decided to improve what little I had with photo software. Why did I pick the worst shot to show you? To show what is possible both with the camera and the ability to manipulate a photograph after it is taken. I must say that in the end it came out pretty good - and is offered for sale both at a Stock Photography site and at my page on Red Bubble.

This picture was taken with a 18 to 55 mm zoom lens - the standard lens included with the camera when you purchase what the camera companies call the "kit" meaning that it includes the camera body and a lens from the manufacturer. This is the "kit" lens. I also purchased a longer zoom lens - 55 to 250 mm. This lens I am finding is more versatile when outdoors as it can bring the distance in close and still has a decent wide angle view.

What I am finding out most is that I have a lot to learn about this camera, but so far the results have been very pleasing. As time goes along I will be showing more photos on my various sales sites from this new, great camera.

If you are thinking about getting more seriously into photography this is a camera to definitely check out - Canon T2i.

No comments: