Sunday, October 5, 2008

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER

Continuing on our focus on fine art photographers, I would like to introduce you to



Briefly describe what you make?

I’m a photographer at heart, so I’m mostly thinking of new subjects to photograph or new locations to visit. I enjoy photographing the often overlooked beauty that surrounds us. I like to capture things that most people find simple and ordinary. For example, the beauty of a pear or the details of an old-fashion door knob really inspire me. Sometimes I like to step away from the camera and try something new. I recently created a line of magnets called Twisted Button Magnets. I had a lot of the supplies sitting around my studio and I just starting putting them together. My mind is always working and I enjoy coming up with new and different ideas.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I really enjoy working with my camera. A lot of the time I set up still lifes in my home to photograph. But I do enjoy getting out and exploring as well. Most recently I found this old, abandoned tractor. It made a great subject. I recently converted to digital photography so I also edit and process my photographs in Photoshop. It is very exciting to see the end result after working on a photo in Photoshop. I recently purchased an Argus 75 and have been spending my time experimenting with it. I love the vintage feel of that camera.

How long have you been creating craft?

I’ve always had an interest in art and creating. When I was young I really enjoyed drawing. I took a lot of art classes in high school and college. I discovered photography in college and have been taking pictures ever since.

How did you get started?

I got started in photography during my first year of college. A friend of mine was taking a beginner course and I decided to take the class as well. I borrowed my father’s Pentax K 1000 (I really love that camera*) and started classes. I instantly fell in love.

*After I couple of years that camera broke. I was really upset. To repair it, it would have cost as much as a new camera. I purchased a new camera, but it just wasn’t the same. Eventually I was able to find my own Pentax K 1000 and I still have it. And my father finally had his repaired.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

I decided to use my name instead of creating a name for my shop. It was important to me as an artist to be known by my name instead of a shop name.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

I want people to know that there is a lot of thought, time and work put into my photographs. There are many different steps involved, starting at the beginning when I’m creating the idea all the way to the end when I’m processing the photo in Photoshop.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Be true to yourself. Create what YOU love. Not everyone is going to love it or even like it. The most important thing is that you love it and it makes you happy. Don’t give up. Things don’t always come naturally at first. (I still laugh at some of my first photographs!) There will be difficult and frustrating times, but if you keep at it you can make it through.

_____________________

Come visit this photographer's shop - you are going to see some very different art. Melissa has another shop as well and that one, too, is worth a look

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Thanks for featuring me! I posted the link in my new blog. http://buttonsandpears.blogspot.com

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Great interview!