Sunday, September 28, 2008

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER

Returning to our articles on great photographers selling their work on-line, I bring you



On Etsy, she is known as xenya, her real name is Julie. Here is our interview with Julie -

Briefly describe what you make?

I dabble in a variety of things, but photography is my main focus. Specifically, photography of urban exploration.

How long have you been creating craft?

I've been into something all my life. I'm a published writer, but the photography bug hit me about 2 years ago. It's become a passion.

How did you get started?

I've always liked taking photos, especially when I traveled. Then when I discovered urban exploration, I began to work with photography seriously.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

"Forgotten Beauty" is the focus of what I photograph. I seek out all the abandoned places that sit rotting and I document their decay. These places usually have a long history and a sort of soul. I try to capture that soul. There is a lot of beauty to be found in these old hospitals and rotting buildings that people have forgotten. For the most part, they sit abandoned due to the cost of cleanup. A lot of them are riddled with asbestos, mold and other nastiness that is expensive to clean up.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

I love my work. I love what I do, and exploring these places. I get somewhat protective over them, as most urban explorers do. If someone is looking to photograph these places, be safe above all else. Never go alone, and be careful of rotting floors, caved in ceilings, squatters and gangs, and of course the biohazards I've already mentioned. These places are not safe and I do not recommend going to them.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

If you love what you do, it will show through your work. Keep at it and eventually it will pay off. If you don't love what you do, that shows also, so keep that in mind.

__________________

You will see some very unusual and stunning photography at this shop. Please make a point right now to visit xenya!

7 comments:

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Great interview, so happy to learn more about you, Julie. Keep up the great work - and please be careful (sorry, that's the mother in me!)
qbranch - thanks for sharing Julie with us.
Peace, Judi

Allie said...

Awesome interview with one of my favorite etsy artists. The beauty in Julie's photos is remarkable. allie

Alison Du Bois said...

Thanks for sharing Julie's work, qbranch, she is very talented! Love your blog, some great posts!
Alison

Julie said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful feature. :) I've posted about it in my blog as well.
http://julieshiel.blogspot.com/

Karrie Welborn said...

Wonderful interview!

Anonymous said...

nice interview

Kim Dorman-Schroeder said...

The pictures are really unique and wonderful. Thank you for sharing the art of craft with us!