Sunday, October 26, 2008

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER

We have seen some great work by many talented photographers. Here is another one that you need to take a look at. Let me introduce you to -



Come an meet the photographer, Judi!

Briefly describe your favorite subjects?

Just about anything in nature is of interest to me, especially near a body of water: lighthouses, waves, marshes, boats, and sea birds to name a few. I also enjoy capturing flowers, leaves, and animals in the wild (or captivity) with my camera. I am very concerned about the state of the environment so wish to capture the beauty while it survives. I am just starting to attempt some indoor still life shots with plans for more in the near future.

What kinds of photography products do you offer?

I offer hand-assembled note cards as well as larger matted prints. I also recently introduced my line of photographs “framed” in a recycled CD jewel case. You can see examples of these in my Jewel of a Reuse section here: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5180890&section_id=5530161. These are only a few of my photos that I will offer in this format, I’d be happy to make almost any image in my shop available framed this way.

How long have you been taking photographs?

I began around the age of 10 or 12 with a camera my father “handed down” to me. I’ve been taking photos ever since. Lately I seem to be so addicted to it I carry a camera with me nearly everywhere I go.

How did you get started?

About 10 or so years ago, I started using my photos to make hand-assembled holiday cards to send to friends and family. I was laid off in mid-2006, unemployment offered entrepreneurial training for free. So, with the encouragement of the card recipients and my new-found knowledge of running a business, I started offering my products for sale - first at craft fairs and then on Etsy.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

I decided to use my own name for my shop name as another name I had in mind was not available as an Internet domain name (aka URL.) Some of your readers may be into knitting or other fiber arts (another of my passions) and know of Kaffe Fassett; his business uses his name (Kaffe Fassett Studio) and I thought if it’s good enough for him to do that, then it’s good for me as well. Thus was born Judi FitzPatrick Studio.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

Love of photography and crafting goes into each and every item I make, thus my tagline – Art from the Heart. I strive for perfection in each item that leaves my hands to reside with the next owner.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

First I’d ask that each do what they can for the environment – use recycled paper products, recyclable packaging and shipping materials, and please let your customers know that you are doing that. In addition, listen to your own inner voice, don’t let anyone else tell you your art is no good, and make your art every day.

___________

You have got to see this great shop. Please come and see Judi's work!

After visiting with Judi, please come on over to Past Perfect and take a look at some of the new things that I have been working on!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful feature! Her art is so beautiful! Thanks for letting us know more about her!

Allie said...

What a wonderful interview with such a talented and kind lady! One of my favorite etsy photographers! :), allie

Fervent Butterfly Photography said...

Great interview! It's fun to read something new about someone you interact with. Such beautiful work form a beautiful lady. :)

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Thank you for the feature, I really appreciate it.

And to the commenters above - thank you all for your kind words.

Please be sure to visit http://pastperfect.etsy.com to see the amazing photography available there.

Thanks again, Judi

Unknown said...

Yippie for Judi! I must confess that I am super biased about her amazing work since she is my mom :)

This was a great interview though, I actually learned something new about her business that I never knew before -- why she named it what she did!

Karen said...

Great interview! I love your Etsy shop, Judi... those peony notecards are just gorgeous!

Pam said...

Great Blog Post! I love Judi's Photography!

Jessica Schilling said...

Wonderful profile on a wonderful artist! Thanks to you both for sharing!
--flashframe

myan said...

really inspirational interview!
beautiful artwork too! :)

Frau Zinnie said...

Great to learn more about Judi! Great job!

TheEye said...

wonderful to learn more about this interesting lady :)