Sunday, June 17, 2007

Featured Artist of the Week



This week we feature a fiber artist who calls her shop Kunklebaby. Here is our interview with the artist -

Describe what you make?
Unique, Luxurious, Handmade items tailored to babies and toddlers. Custom Slings, Clothing, Blankets and great gifts.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?
I love colorful, fun fabrics. Prints that excite me, texture-I only sell things that I would personally use, and love! I like to use 100% cotton, because I think it's important to use soft fabrics for new sensitive skin, and it's easy to care for.

How long have you been creating craft?
My entire life. I'm also a painter and cannot remember a time in my life that I wasn't drawing or finding new uses out of objects. I started creating my baby line after my children were born about four years ago. I had always loved sewing, but it became so much more important to me then. Personal.

How did you get started?
After the birth of my children, I could not find children's items out of the pastel range. I wanted vibrant, fun, unique and elegant. Many of my friends were starting families at the time too, and I was tired of having all the same clothes and accessories as them. Just because I had children didn't mean I was no longer stylish. I wanted to stand out and started creating my baby line then.

Where does the name of your shop come from?
My two children are very important to me. They are 12 months apart and have this super close relationship. When my oldest was two, they started creating and speaking their own language. Kunkle was one of their words. They used to tell me you could buy anything from the Kunkle Store-bread, toilet paper, even mermaids. My line started because of them and I knew the name needed to reflect that.

What would you most want people to know about your work?
They are easy to clean and will last through all the baby messes and toddler mishaps! I know how tired and busy mothers of young children are. The last thing you want to worry about is dry cleaning or hand washing. No time for that! I take great pride in the quality of my pieces.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?
Love everything you make. This love will set you apart. When people see how devoted you are to your creations, how cherished they become-they will see the quality you bring to the work. Also tell everyone you know, promote everywhere!

An artist and a mom - go over to her shop and see the great things for children and moms!
Then go on over and visit us at


No comments: