Sunday, June 3, 2007

Featured Artist of the Week



Our featured artist of the week is Poorlulu and she is a needle felting artist. She creates great little dolls and critters with needle felting. For those who do not know what needle felting is - it is the manipulating of wool fibers to stiffen and grab together. The wool can be molded like clay into shapes with the punching of needles or the agitation of the fibers. It is an old and again new craft that is becoming popular.

Here is our interview with Poorlulu -

Describe what you make and what mediums do you enjoy working in most?
I make needle felted collectibles like dolls and bears. And so as you can probably tell that means I love working with wool roving but I have a soft spot for felt as well.

How long have you been creating craft?
I have only been doing this for about 5 months and I am entirely self taught.

How did you get started?
I got started being interested in this craft believe it or not because of ebay. I did a search for outsider art and loved the needle felting stuff that came up and decided to give it a go.

Where does the name of your shop come from?
Poorlulu is the nickname my husband gave me when we first met - it's the name of a character in a comedy show (Harry Enfields show) from the UK. She is a baby constantly being set upon by her jealous toddler little brother, bad harry.

What would you most want people to know about your work?
I would like people to know that I make everything by hand and with lots of love and thought...and that I can make something just for them if they have an idea.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?
My advice probably isn't the best as I just started but I would say if you love what you do stick with it, don't let anyone belittle your work.

Poorlulu has a website in addition to her Etsy shop. Please give that a visit to:
www.stabbies.com

Take a look at her Etsy shop as well and while there stop by and see us!






No comments: