Sunday, February 24, 2008

Featured Artist

We have an illustrator to introduce you to - and she will be appearing on television in 2008 on HGTV! Let me introduce you to





Here is our interview with the artist -

Briefly describe what you make?

I create colorful children's illustrations, unique plush characters, and humorous bee ornaments.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

All of my paintings are in gouache. For me, it's an easy medium to work with, and I love the intensity of the colors. I also enjoy working with different fabrics, polymer clay, and acrylics.

How long have you been creating craft?

I've been crafting in some form or another my entire life! My mother is extremely crafty. She's dabbled in nearly everything from quilting to book-making, so she was able to keep me and my sister busy with projects when we were growing up. I also started writing and illustrating little stories on scrap paper when I was 6 or 7.

How did you get started?

I have a BFA in illustration from Rhode Island School of Design. In college, I took a couple sewing and apparel-related wintersession courses. That was probably what led me into experimenting more with more 3-D work in my illustration classes. After graduation, I started making quirky little objects and stuffed animals as gifts for friends. It just sort of expanded until I became involved in RISD Alumni Art Sales, and eventually began selling online.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

It's pretty uncomplicated, actually! "Honeydew" is the name of the color I painted my studio.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

With the obvious exception of prints, every single thing I create is 100% hand-made and hand-painted. Even when I recreate a popular item (like a particular stuffed animal, for example), no two items are ever exactly alike.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Loving what you do has to be your driving force. The market is absolutely saturated with talented artists, and it can be really hard to get noticed. Don't give up and promote, promote, promote! The more you get yourself out there, the easier it will be to people to find you. Networking with fellow artists and craftspeople is really helpful too. It gives you the support you need and a great community for feedback.

____________________

That is great and so is the work! Make sure to keep looking at HGTV's "That's Clever" to see this artist. And don't forget to visit this shop at Etsy!

While you are at Etsy you must see the new photos that I am offering in my shop.


No comments: