Sunday, February 17, 2008

Featured Artist

Here is an artist who creates clothing for both children and adults. Come and meet -



Here is our interview with the artist of LaMadeleine, Madeline -

Briefly describe what you make?

Primarily I make clothing for women and children, most of which is vintage inspired or made using vintage materials.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

Cotton is, by far my favorite medium. It is a fabric that you can trust. It irons, washes, and wears well. It's crisp and reminiscent of summertime.

How long have you been creating craft?

I have been creating, something at least, as long as I can remember. Even as a child I was always trying my hand at different crafts, sometimes successfully, other times, not. It wasn't until about 3 years ago (when I was a junior in high school) that I really started sewing clothing.

How did you get started?

I got started, a few years ago, when mother and I first started selling on e-bay. We sold a lot of different things but specialized in vintage sewing patterns and fabric. There were always a lot of vintage sewing supplies around the house, just begging to be used. I started out painting pictures of the illustrations on the covers of the patterns, and eventually decided to try making some of the designs. It turned out to be a lot of fun, and I've been doing it ever since.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

The name of my shop is derived from my real name "Madeline". I just played around with different spellings and ideas and decided the French article "La" and the extra "e" in the middle made it sound more distinguished.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

I make a lot of items on request, for people who have a certain idea in mind, for a dress they would like, and ask me to make it for them. The thing I love most about making clothing on etsy is doing custom orders. I love making dresses for people, that are one of a kind and made especially for them. People really value having something that is truly unique and their's alone, and I get a lot of joy from making that happen.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

The best advice I can give is to know and explore your options. It's a big world out there and it just keeps expanding, in terms of knowledge and possibilities. There are countless tools and venues to be used and explored. Talk to other crafters, see other people's work, share ideas, search for inspiration, look around in internet-land to see what other people are doing with their skills. Most importantly though, love what you do.

______________________________

Great things to be found at LaMadeleine

While you are at Etsy please come take a look at my latest creation. This is something different that I have been getting into and would love your opinions. Take a look at Flora Pura.

No comments: