Thursday, September 30, 2010

FEATURED ARTIST

We are featuring a fiber artist who is tuning out some great work. Come and meet



Here is our interview with the artist - Karen!

Briefly describe what you make?

I make mostly items made from fabric. I've designed a "mini clutch" that I am very proud of. I also make knitting/crochet/jewelers organizers. My husband bought me a nice embroidery machine and I am creating fun messages to put on those organizers. For the Christmas season I also offer salt dough ornaments.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

My favorite medium is fabric. But I was a floral designer for 30 years and sometimes get an itch to make arrangements again.

How long have you been creating craft?

I've been sewing my own clothes since I was 14 years old. 40 years later I'm still thrilled to create something to wear from a square of fabric....that just amazes me!

How did you get started?

I took a sewing class in junior high... was flunking it sadly! One day I just picked out a pattern, cut it out and began sewing. Hours later I had something to wear that I had made all by myself! Well that started me out big time! My mother had made all my clothes up until then. Now I make clothes for anyone. My favorite was the Football Hall of Famer, Bobby Bell (GO CHIEFS!) He wanted a KC Chiefs shirt like the one that I was wearing! I made him a shirt that fit his long arms and torso. I've seen him wearing it too! That made me feel so proud! His wife ordered a shirt for herself too!

Where does the name of your shop come from?

When my husband and I were moving from Connecticut to Kansas City I was planning to open up a flower shop. I wanted something that made one think of home...relatives make me think of home...I am an Aunt and Aunt Karen's Flower Shop became the name of my florist shop. Everyone in town referred to me as Aunt Karen, my customers, neighbors, the mayor, everyone! So Aunt Karen was just the logical move for my online store. I create everything in it so... Aunt Karen's Creations voila!

What would you most want people to know about your work?

I want people to know that because I love everything that I create, they will be getting great quality, imagination and often whimsy when they choose my things. My mini clutches are my own design and I am proud that they are so versatile! I even have friends in wheelchairs that swear by them! On one of my knitting needle cases I embroidered the words in mirror reverse...it's saying? "I knit for my sanity!" What better way to express that than in an unconventional way?

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Hmmmm, it's difficult to advise artists on their art so I won't go there. There will be times when someone asks you to make something that you truly don't like - the end result is just not what you wanted. Sometimes artists most famous work was something that they detested! Your followers know what they want and what they want from you...so go with it! You can make your next piece for you ... and someone else will love it too!

_________________________

Great interview!

Come and see Karen's shop for yourself!

No comments: