Thursday, September 23, 2010

FEATURED ARTIST

This featured artist makes an interesting assortment of accessories. Come and meet



Here is our interview with the artist, Julie -

Briefly describe what you make?

I make unique clothing and accessories for girls and women, using interesting vintage elements like millinery flowers and quilt patches. At the moment I have mostly headbands, pins, and sundresses, but I'm hoping to expand soon into skirts, tops, and crocheted and knitted items. I'd also love to experiment with making some stationery with my fashion illustrations on it!

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

Oh, gosh, I love it all... At the moment, I'm doing a lot of sewing and crocheting, which lets me work with two of my favorite crafting materials, fabric and yarn. When it comes to fabric, my heart still belongs to my very favorite-- floral cotton. It's great for everything from dresses to purses to rosettes for hair accessories, and it looks pretty on everyone. I also love to draw, especially fashion illustrations, and for those I use Chartpak markers (which have a lovely, wet, almost watercolor feel to work with), Prismacolor colored pencils, and a variety of other oddments, including eye shadow, q-tips, and pen-and-ink.

How long have you been creating craft?

I've always been making things-- my mom used to come downstairs in the morning and find me at the kitchen table, working busily on one craft project or another. I started drawing clothing when I was about 6, and my first sewing adventure was at age 10 or so. I joined a 4-H sewing group, and made a really atrocious smiley-face print dress, which I proceeded to slice up the middle when I tried to serge the inside edges. Whoops. I come from a family of artists, so creativity and crafts were always strongly encouraged.

How did you get started?

I'm not exactly sure where my desire to design clothing, in particular came from, but it was there from a very young age. Then, after I'd drawn clothing, I wanted to learn how to make it, so I started creating outfits for my dolls. I was especially fond of cutting up socks to make very chic (to my 8-or-9-year-old mind) little tube dresses for my Barbies. Before long, I wanted to do more than that, and I became very involved with miniatures, and began experimenting with polymer clay foods and little hand-sewn objects for my dollhouse. By age 14, I was sewing on a regular basis, and then at 15 I had a spectacular sewing teacher who really inspired me and helped me with my technique. (Thank you Mrs. Wells!) My grandmother taught me to knit when I was 16, and as soon as I saw amigurumi I just had to learn to crochet, and learned from books and websites. I've always had the urge to create, and I was fortunate enough to have parents who encouraged that. Now I'm going into my third year at the Fashion Institute of Technology for fashion design.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

The name of my shop is somewhat less than deeply meaningful, I'm afraid. My name is Julie Rose, and I spend the vast majority of my time sewing. Also... I couldn't resist the rhyme.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

I think an artist's intent really comes through in their final piece or item. To me, it's really important that someone wearing one of my creations feels effortlessly pretty and feminine. It's also important that my pieces be functional-- durable, nonrestrictive, and viable wardrobe and accessory options for the modern woman. I truly love every piece of clothing and every accessory that I create, and I always hope that it's as enjoyable for a woman to wear one of my pieces as it was for me to create it.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Know that your work is valid. It's so easy for people to de-value creativity, but it is something that no amount of money can buy. When you feel the urge to create, create. Art is something that will never be able to be manufactured, and even though it isn't always easy to find them, there are people out there who will fall in love with your work. Also, that creative "dry spells" happen, and even though they're scary, they're not insurmountable. You'll make it through, something will inspire you to pick up the pencil or the sewing machine or the paintbrush again, every time.

----------------------------------

Great! Come and see all of the nice things that Julie makes right here!

1 comment:

Julie Rose Sews said...

Thank you so much for featuring me! Happy crafting, everyone!

♥Julie