Thursday, May 20, 2010

FEATURED ARTIST

This shop is a bit different in the theme of what it sells. Come and meet




Here is our interview with the artist, Sabina -

Briefly describe what you make?

I make spiritually inspired jewelry and crocheted items. That's the short answer. The long answer is that I make pieces that I feel bless the wearers because while I'm making them, I listen to worship music and let the music inspire me in the creation process.


What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

With the jewelry I started out just being interested in the beads, but as time has gone by, I've wanted to learn more and more, so now I'm into wire wrapping, etc. I keep saying I want a micro torch so I can get into some real metalsmithing, but my 18 year old daughter (who's an artist) keeps insisting that I'll burn the apartment building down ...

When I'm crocheting, I work with different kinds of yarn, but prefer either cottons or acrylics that are easy to care fibers. I'm the kind of person who thinks about how this will be used and how would I want to be able to care for it if it were mine. Then I choose the fibers that can we washed and dried easily.


How long have you been creating craft?

For as long as I can remember I've been doing some sort of crafting. When I was little I used to take leftover bits of fabric and fashion clothes for my Barbies. Then my mom taught me to crochet. Later a friend taught me how to knit. I had a sewing business for 10 years when my children were little. I also had a scrapbooking store for four years. So it seems like I've always been doing something crafty.


How did you get started?

Well, because I had some business sense it was pretty easy for me to take my crafting to the next level and make things to sell. I used to give things away and then people said that my things were so well made that I should sell them. When it came to the jewelry and crocheting, that was easy to make the decision to sell them.


Where does the name of your shop come from?

The actual name of my shop is Angelic Adornments and it came from the fact that I listen to worship music while creating -- so it was like having angels for muses. It just seemed like the logical choice.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

I so love what I do and I feel a little piece of who I am is in each piece. I want the works to bless the wearers and brighten their day. So when they buy one of my items, I hope they will feel blessed.


What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Don't quit your day job! Ha ha. Seriously though, if you love what you do, if it gives you joy and is almost therapeutic in nature, then keep doing it. I keep telling my daughter to please herself first in her art work and if other people love it that that is icing on the cake. Don't try to please man first because you will lose all sense of who you are in your art. And its your sense of self that needs to shine through to others from the things you make.

____________________________

The work here is lovely and you must see for yourself that you are going to find that her pieces just wonderful for anyone!

Come visit Sabina at her shop!

No comments: