Thursday, September 24, 2009

FEATURED ARTIST

Our new feature is a shop on Etsy that is a must see for new mothers or anyone needing a gift for a new mama. Here is



Come and meet the artist, Amy -

Briefly describe what you make?

I make a variety of items, just based on whatever idea strikes me, or something I see that inspires me. I started up shop in April of this year with some Baby Bodysuits & cute boutique Baby Wipes Clutches, but have since branched out into Drink Coasters, and beautiful Sparkling Hair Pins & Hair Blossoms. I use only the best designer fabrics, Swarovski crystals, and other ingredients for my items.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

My favorite right now are my Wipes Clutches & my Sparkling Hair Pins...I've found them almost addictive! Every time I see a cool fabric, or a pretty finding, I rush home from work to start making something new. My head swirls with ideas constantly!

How long have you been creating craft?

I have been creating things for friends and family just about forever, but I just decided to open up shop in April. I just couldn't find the right outlet before, but when I found Etsy, I knew I had found a new home for my shop!

How did you get started?

My desire to create started long long ago, as a little girl. My Mom used to sew beautiful things for us to wear, so it started with sewing little projects of my own, cutting patterns, picking materials. I then moved on in college to creating gift baskets for weddings of my friends and family using my crafting skills & premium gifts, but couldn't find a way to translate that into a business that would work for me. I then started making baby gifts, including my Bodysuits & Night Lights for friends & family, and people told me I should set up shop so it would be easier for them to purchase things to give, and to tell others about my items. So in April, I opened up my Etsy shop, and have had so much fun since then!

Where does the name of your shop come from?

One of my other favorite things to do is work in my garden, and though I have many favorite flowers, Camellias are one of the most hardy and beautiful that I grow. When I decided to open up shop, I wanted something that reflected not only who I am, and what I love, but something beautiful and sort of catchy. The Pink Camellia was inspired by my "In The Pink" Camellia plants, a gorgeous hot pink ruffled Camellia. I tossed it around for a few days, and the name just sort of stuck.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

I would mostly like to say that my work is a labor of love. I don't sell anything I wouldn't be happy to buy or give myself, and I'm proud of every single item I've created. Each item to me is special, and I work extremely hard to make sure they are of the best quality. I also take pride in keeping my prices affordable to just about everyone. There's nothing better than giving a gift that is original, and can't just be picked up at the local big box store! Nobody else will have what you have purchased!

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

My advice for other artists would be to just follow your heart. Sometimes you create something and think nobody else will be able to see what your inspiration was, or nobody else will love it as much as you. I have to say that I have been proven wrong every time! We are always our own harshest critic, and I think people need to believe in themselves and in their own talents, and share them!

__________________________

Great interview!!! Come and see this shop! Leave some comments for Amy!

2 comments:

The Pink Camellia said...

Thanks so much! Great feature, such an honor!

Lissie said...

Lovely items you make The Pink Camellia! :)