Sunday, December 14, 2008

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER

Here is a photographer that uses her photography to create not only wall art but other craft. She is another member of POE - Photographers of Etsy. Come and meet Jen and learn all about her and her shop -



Here is our interview with Jen -

Briefly describe what you make?

I offer photography in mats, in frames or on cards. I also create photo pendants and crystal sun catchers. I've been using a camera for as long as I can remember, and I mainly focus on nature. The etsy shop, however, includes my work as well as my husband's, who does a lot of the black and whites. The sun catchers started as a fun project last year. I got the idea from Rob's aunt, who also creates them using simpler bead designs. First I purchased the crystals and pretty soon I became obsessed with buying beads. It's a fun, different outlet.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I'd have to say taking macro photos is my favorite way to photograph things right now. I really like the detail you can get from using the lens. I've also been fortunate to be able to photograph many animals, especially pets of friends and coworkers. There is so much expression in their eyes and mannerisms. You'll never get the same shot twice. I'm a big fan of Rachael Hale, a mainsteam pet photographer who photographs these amazing photos of kittens and puppies. In the past year I've been very drawn to horses, and was able to visit a local farm to fulfill that desire.

My husband is much better at using the long lens (I shake too much!). He's captured the majority of our long-lens images. He's also photographed our most popular image, The Temple of Love, which has been sold several times as an 18x22 image.

How long have you been creating craft?

I've been photographing since I was a kid with a cheap 110 film speed camera. I would photograph my cat, Blackie, my books and plants in my yard. Eventually I was able to use my dad's Nikon to do point and shoot photos. But in high school, I borrowed the Canon Rebel (film) from school and fell in love with it. I've been an SLR girl ever since. In high school and in college I was able to learn in the darkroom, and became an Ansel Adams groupie. I was obsessed with trees and really appreciated how he created his images.

How did you get started?

I think I was given the camera as a gift when I was young. If my parents knew how expensive all the film processing would have been, I bet they would have second guessed that purchase!

Where does the name of your shop come from?

When I joined etsy I didn't know how to do shop labels, so I just used my first initial and last name. Afterward, I "renamed" the shop to McGuinness Photography, even though I'm unable to change my etsy name at this point.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

We offer quality photographs and hope they make people as happy as we are when we create them. Some of our best images were taken without time to get a second shot. Rob's Temple of Love is one of these. It was a hot summer day and we had spent three hours outdoors photographing the garden. "Just one more," he told me, and I slumped on a park bench and waited. I'm glad he took that last shot- it's one of the best!

I feel so honored when people purchase images from our shop or at our fair booth and plan to hang them on their walls. It's nice to know that people like to look at the image every day! ;)

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

If people tell you to abandon your craft because you'll be a starving artist, ignore them. It's important to have a creative outlet in your life. If you're fortunate enough to be able to do it full time, that is a major accomplishment! But if you still have to work a day job (like us), that's OK too. I think it's important to evolve artistically, so even a little creating each day can make a big difference in the long run. Also, join a group where you can bounce ideas off each other. I've received so much great support and advice from the people I've met through the Photographers of Etsy team and Etsy for Animals team.

_____________________

Jen does beautiful work and if you are short on wall space you will find calendars, cards, and jewelry all featuring Jen's photography at her Etsy shop.

7 comments:

Frau Zinnie said...

Thank you for featuring me!

Allie said...

Awesome interview with one of my favorites in POE! :), allie

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Great interview, one of my favorite POE members as well! Peace, Judi

mvegan said...

Her work is wonderful and helps the animals!!! :)) Michele

Smile Moon Woodworks said...

Thank you for interviewing Jen. Her photography is beautiful and she's a really sweet person to meet in person, too.

myan said...

great interview from such a talented & compassionate artist!! :D

Anonymous said...

Jen does awesome work! She's one of my favorites!