Sunday, December 7, 2008

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER

We continue our features on photographers with another Etsy Photographers of Etsy member. Her shop is



Come and meet Brenda!

Briefly describe what you make?

I'm an experienced photographer and custom photo art designer. Through both my prints and my custom work, I concentrate on two areas--color and mood. Most of my photographs and designs include close-ups and bright colors. It's what I've always been drawn to as an artist, and I like to share my particular close, colorful view of the world with others.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

There is never a time when I don't have a camera in my hand, be it my beloved Nikon or just my iPhone. I view the world through a photographer's lens, but I also love creating personal art from those views, whether it's digital scrapbooks, custom art prints or even posters and canvas crafts.

How long have you been creating craft?

For me, that's like saying, "How long have you been breathing?" Practicality kept me from an art career, but I've been an artist since birth. I take classes in new media every chance I get, and I believe that all of those experiences have influenced how I capture the world through my photography. A few years ago, I traveled 100 miles every weekend in the middle of winter to learn glass blowing. I was the only woman in the class, and I soon figured out why--the equipment is SO heavy. I had visions of producing stunning vases and bowls, but eight weeks of hard, hot, heavy work showed me just how special it is when someone can produce something beautiful from glass.

How did you get started?

My father was a film photographer when I was growing up, and I was inspired by watching him. I took photojournalism classes in college, and I haven't put my camera down since. I barely had money for film back then, but I loved spending time in the dark room experimenting with all of the different ways to manipulate and improve my shots. Digital has been great in that way, because it really allows you to experiment, not only inside the camera, but once you move to processing through the computer and in final print production.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

I'm sure I'm not the first photographer to choose "point of view", but it's really how I feel about photography and photographic art. I am in awe of so many fellow POEs (Photographers of Etsy), but I could never replicate their work, and I hope everyone sees a distinct point of view with mine.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

Photography is probably one of the most under-appreciated art media on etsy. I take anywhere from 100-400 shots for every one I offer for sale. Every situation requires different lighting, filters and lenses, and it's really hard to know what works until you get back to your desk and look at all of it. My custom art prints take even more time, as I search for just the right colors, textures and words to accompany an important photograph. I really care about the quality of the work I produce, and I will only put something up if I truly think it's worthy of a sale. In fact, I've been known to take some of my work down once I see it in comparison to the other offerings in my store.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Do what you love, not just what will make money. I don't participate in sales or buy one/get one offers, because I believe in the value of what I'm offering. Be proud of each and every piece of art you produce, and always be willing to self edit, even if it means ditching something you've been working on for days, weeks or months.

_______________________


Brenda has a broad spectrum of subjects in the photos in her shop . She also does custom and personalized work. You must come and see what she has to offer.

This is the time of the year that the gift of a photograph can share and mean so much between you and your loved ones and friends. Come and see beautiful gift items - at all of the POE shops.

4 comments:

Allie said...

Wonderful interview. It is great to get to know others in the incredible POE group. I really admire your work, fosterbk.

Brenda said...

PastPerfect--Thanks for including me in your blog!

Frau Zinnie said...

What great insight! I was going to do glass blowing too Brenda but fate keeps stepping in the way every time I try! Thank you for a glimpse into your thought process!

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Wonderful interview, it's so nice to learn more about Brenda and her work.

Peace, Judi