Sunday, August 31, 2008

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER

This interview begins a first in a series of photographers who are selling their work on Etsy. There is a team group on the ETSY site called POE - Photographers of Etsy. The photographers that we will feature in the coming weeks are all members of that team.

Our first photographer is Jaimee and her shop is



Here is our interview with Jaimee -

Briefly describe what you make?

I basically create whatever it is that pops into my head the moments before I fall asleep. It’s soothing to me to think of new creations (as much as it keeps me awake into the wee hours of the night). It depends on what type of mood I had been in that day but the things I create are usually connected to some sort of happy memory or feeling. A lot of my pieces remind me of a place I’ve traveled or a childhood memory. As far as my prints over at Modern Classics: Prints, they’re more on the fluff side…usually when I’m in the mood to shop.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I work in a variety of mediums from wire and wool, pen and ink to camera and computer…whatever it takes to get the job done. My favorite medium changes with my moods. I had been on a huge knitting/crocheting kick all of last year but as of late, I’m loving my sketch book and pencils and my camera the best. I can take them with me wherever I go and work whenever the moment moves me. I’ve just recently began using my computer to edit and digitally color my pieces. I find it extremely liberating to alter colors with the click of a button.

How long have you been creating craft?

I was born with the “creative bug” I suppose. I can’t remember a time when I was completely content with a piece of paper and some crayons. I’m always interested in learning how to use new mediums and techniques to bring out what I’m feeling inside…be it illustration, photography, crafting. In High School, I won a small art scholarship which gave me the push to continue in that direction. In adoration of my art teacher, I took her advice and attended her Alma Mater, Kutztown University. I went with the intentions of majoring in Sculpture but once exposed to so many other options, I wound up switching to Textiles. It was hard for me to pick one area to focus on (as you can see from my array of shops), I just love to create in any way possible.

How did you get started?

I suppose I owe that to my family! It’s full of creativity…my Grandmother (the knitter/crocheter), my Mother (the Sketcher) and my Father (the Photographer). They’ve always encouraged me to be creative and taught me a great deal of what I know. Now a days, it’s the thought of free time that gets my mind racing. Being a mother of a four year old is the best thing that has ever happened to me and I love every second of it. It’s only recently that I’m finding myself with some spare time, as he goes off to Nursery School and wants to have playdates. I’m finding I have more “ME” time and forgot what it was like. Now I can’t stop myself!

Where does the name of your shop come from?

To be completely honest , I made up the name Modern Classics on a whim wanting to have professional labels made for my earlier work. I was so overzealous that I ordered 3000 of them! So, until those labels are used up…the name is Modern Classics everything!

What would you most want people to know about your work?

I suppose the most important thing to have people know is that it’s personal. Everything I create is a part of me from the whimsical pair of earrings, to my jovial Children’s Alphabet Series, to my Macro shots. It’s my happiness coming out to be shared with others.

What words of advice to you have for others?

I think the most important thing to remember is that if it makes you happy, people will see that and enjoy it as much as you do. Don’t get swayed by criticism, feed off of it!

_________________________

Great interview! Wonderful photography. You must go right now and visit this SHOP!

And while you are at Etsy there is more great photography to see at Past Perfect.

1 comment:

Jaimee McClellan said...

Thanks so much for the interview!