Sunday, September 30, 2007

Featured Artist of the Week

This week's featured artist is


Here is our interview with Joy, the artist -

Describe what you make?

I make lampwork glass beads, which means I spend a lot of time over a hot torch melting glass into wonderful shapes. Then I use those creations to fashion into jewelry. I enjoy using silver mostly, but recently have ventured into the gold scene.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

Glass is my favorite, but I also draw and paint. My avatar on Etsy (the cute little monkey that represents my shop) is a drawing of mine.

How long have you been creating craft?

All my life I've been up to some kind of art, but I started in glass about 2 years ago.

How did you get started?

On a whim, really! I saw a "Make Your Own Glass Beads" kit in a art supply/hardware store, and I thought "That would rock!". I took it home, made a couple of hundred dreadful lumps of molten glass, and here 2 years later I have the right tools and equipment (along with a lot of practice!) and can make a beautiful bead. I have never taken a class though.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

Monkeys are my favorite animal. I live near Boulder on a street that has Boulder in it, so it seemed a logical choice. Plus, there's a lot of flinging that goes on in my studio!

What would you most want people to know about your work?

Many people assume that I just buy glass beads and make jewelry out of them. Because I make each of the beads in my pieces by hand, one at a time, each one is unique and different. I also try never to have repeat pieces. If its sold, its the only and last one you will ever see.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Be patient! It takes time before people start to see that you have something they want. Keep creating and eventually you will be recognized for your efforts!

__________________________

Joy is a wonderful glass artist. You must see her work at her shop Boulderglassmonkey

She has a blog site too so take a look at that as well!

While you are at Etsy come see the new things that I have added to my shop!


No comments: