Sunday, September 16, 2007

Featured Artist of the Week

Our featured artist this week has a shop on Etsy called Tippytoe.


Here is our interview with the artist, Christine:

Describe what you make.

I make fun, bright, animaly, floraly, leafy, and vintage inspired costume jewellery and paintings.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I love to work with beads, any kind I can get my hands on. I love anything vintage, especially if it's in animal or flower/leaf form. My Oma likes to give me her old jewellery she doesn't wear anymore for me to take apart and re-use. She's pretty great that way. For my paintings I love acrylics. I find it the best for playing around with!

How long have you been creating craft?

I have been creating as long as I can remember. My father was an avid drawer and was always teaching me new techniques to draw birds. I think that's where a lot of my use of nature in my work comes from. Also, my mother always use to sew and when I was really young I use to take scraps of her fabrics and hand sew them into little purses for her. She never would use them though. But at least now she is my jewellery's biggest fan!

How did you get started?

I went to Sheridan College of Art and Design outside of Toronto for glass forming. Once I got out of school I realized that doing glass sculpture was a bit out of my budget. I had always made jewelery for friends and family so I got a couple of jobs working for a jeweler and a clothing designer. After a while of making other peoples work for a living I thought I'd give it a try for myself.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

My boyfriend actually named my shop. Tippytoe comes from a Seinfeld episode in where George and Jerry use it as a code word because Jerry is trying to steal an answering machine tape form Georges girlfriend. We love Seinfeld!

What would you most want people to know about your work?

Hmmmm, I would want people to know that my work is not to be taken too seriously! It's just fun to wear and fun for your walls. It's meant to be enjoyed!

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Ahhhahaha! I'm not too sure I should be giving advice to anyone. But, I guess I'll say enjoy what you do/make, have fun with it! Don't take yourself too seriously. And the thing I'm still trying to learn is that not everyone is going to like what you make. Try not to take it personally because we all have different taste.

_____________________

Please be sure to come to Tippytoe and take a look at Christine's great work - both her jewelry and her art.

While you are at Etsy be sure to come over and visit with us!








No comments: