Thursday, June 3, 2010

FEATURED ARTIST

This week we have a paper artist! Come and meet:



Here is our interview with the artist -

2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
Briefly describe what you make?

I take plain jane journals, books and planners embellish them with my art and adorn them with beautiful fibers and silk ribbon.( I now dye some of my own fibers and silk ribbon ). I also make artistic Greeting cards, tags and embellish small boxes with papers, vintage finds,and fibers. I use some very special techniques that I have developed and that are
mine, and my trademark as an artist. My items are useful and a piece of art at the same time.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

Paper and ink are my favorites ! I love the versatility of paper. You can take a piece of paper, manipulate it to mimic century old leather or old yellowed paper, the kind you would find in your grandma's dusty attic. I also love working with all kinds of fibers and am now dyeing my own silk ribbon, its opened up a whole new area of creativity for me. I adore all things vintage and use vintage pieces in my work whenever
I can. Most of my work has a vintage look to it and the old medal and findings are a perfect match. I find embellishments for my work everywhere! Thrift stores, tag sales,
and friends and family are always finding stuff for me, sometimes even when I'm on a walk, I've found things on the street! I like old things that tell a story. I've always liked reading and writing. A lot of the words and Quotes that I use on my work are my favorites, they say something to me personally, so I put those on my work because its part of who I am.


How long have you been creating craft?

Well its been a long time because I'm so old!! The first thing I ever remember making
that fueled my creative fire was a Mother's Day gift I made when I was about 10 or 11.
It was a tuna can that I put plaster on and textured it with a fork,added brown paint
all over to give it that old patina (see, I was doing it even back then..) and then added a cute little felt bird and a little plastic branch that looks like real wood to the side. I was so proud of that and I remember my mom's face when i gave it to her.
She saved it and I have it today.

How did you get started?

I started scrap booking about 12 years ago. Taught scrap booking and card making classes for a few years. I soon became bored with it all. I experimented with different products and started using then in different ways. My style evolved out of that and I started applying my art to some of my favorite things. I gave my art as gifts to family and friends and soon was on my way to selling it for all to enjoy.Its been a journey that has opened up doors and my heart.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

Its very simple!
The first 2 letters of my first and last name. Degi is also a nickname that some of my friends call me. Paperart encompasses all that I do. Paper and art are 2 of my favorite things in the world.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

6.The Quotes and words that I chose on my work has touched my heart and soul and says a lot about the artist behind the work. Words are so powerful, whether you are speaking,
reading or writing them. I have a lot of respect for artists that make their own books and paper, I've done it and it is so much work. But for me I've found that it is not a process that I enjoy. So I use books and journals that are ready for my artistic touch, thats where the doors open for me and I can put mt heart and soul into that. I am working on putting my art to canvas, I've had so many people say to me I want to put your art on my wall!
So I'm going to do a little of that. I also don't really like to do dupulates of my work
or try to make 2 of the same, but I realize that sometimes its what people want, I want my customers to be open and honest with me so I can work with them and make them a piece
that they will treasure.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Don't put limits on what you can do, and don't worry what other people will think about your art. Be brave. Don't follow logic or common sense when you are creating your art, for that's when you will discover who you really are and what gifts you have to share. Find time to be still in your life and you will find your calling, who you are and what you are meant to be doing. Don't ever stop Dreaming...
A Favorite Quote:
"Your life is the manifestation of your dream; it is art. And you can change your life anytime if you aren't enjoying the dream. Dream masters create a masterpiece of life; they control the dream by making choices. Don Miguel Ruiz

__________________
Nice interview!

Come see this shop! And then come back here and leave a comment!

No comments: