Sunday, October 14, 2007

Featured Artist of the Week

This week's artist is



Here is our interview with the artist, Miranda!

Describe what you make?

I’m the kind of person that always has several projects going at once. Primarily I work in the visual arts, in printmaking and painting. Currently I am working on a series about urban landscapes. Documenting the area where I live, in Brooklyn. I also make books some are journals some take the shape of paintings. I love making journals because it opens up a black canvas for someone else to write or draw. And last but not least, I have a line of accessories and other fun little things.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I must say that I have what some people have referred to as, a ‘paper fetish’. It is really my love of paper that got me interested in bookbinding. I also spent a year working for a designer where we made paper pulp on a daily basis. I like to get down to the bottom of things. Whatever medium I am working in it is important to me that I fully understand its character.

How long have you been creating craft?

Since I can remember.
It was the one thing that I didn’t suck at in school. I went to school in Denmark, where there is a lot of hands-on training in schools. I was horrible at anything that involved letters and words. But I always did well when creating anything with my hands. So I was encouraged to go in that direction.

How did you get started?

In terms of the crafty thing, I guess that was when I did my first Xmas market in Christiania, a free town in Copenhagen. I must have been around 19 or so. I friend and I where lucky and got a both to share. It was a learning experience.
Later when I moved to New York I became much more interested in the Fine Arts. I was able to study with a lot of very gifted people and also pick up some business skills along the way.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

Mira Artz is the name of my accessories shop. It comes from ‘Mira’ a part of my name that stems form the Latin ‘see’ or ‘look’.
The second shop is my Name, Miranda Hellman. This one has things like small paintings, prints, collages and artists books.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

My work whether it is something you wear or hang, has a story behind it. I don’t always reveal that story, but hope that it speaks to you in some way.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Crate everyday. And keep very high standards for yourself.

_____________________________

Come over the Miranda's shop, MIRA ARTZ
She does beautiful work!

And while you are at Etsy, stop by and see what we have for you.


No comments: