Thursday, January 6, 2011

FEATURED ARTIST

We are back after the Holidays with another artist interview. Come and meet


Here is our interview with the artist, Sarah -

Briefly describe what you make?

I have fabric bookmarks and reusable gift bags in my shop, but I primarily create fabric flowers to be used as an accessory. My Esty shop is relatively new to me and so is this process of creating products to sell. So I am still finding myself and what it is I want to present to the world. Right now I am in the midst of a rainbow-licious project that will include quilts, placemats, bags and more.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I love to work with fabric. The minute my mother gifted me with a sewing machine I was hooked. I love to draw, paint, take photographs and create will sorts of mediums, but I feel I can best offer people quality products of value through sewing.

How long have you been creating craft?

How long? Um...Can you count creating storybooks as a child? =) I'd say I started the love affair with sewing about 8 years ago.

How did you get started?

It all started one winter when I was home from college for Christmas. I was an Environmental Science major and young, which meant I thought I could save the world. Coincidently my mother was slowly taking over my room and was storing her sewing machine and fabric in there. I was inspired to sew dozens of cloth gift bags in order to cut down on the amount of wrapping paper we threw away every Christmas morning. It snowballed from there. Both my mother and mother in law now have hundreds of cloth bags for Christmas and other special occassions. I wanted to challenge myself to new projects and along came blankets and quilts. Now I just want to see how I can challenge fabric to mold into the images I see in my head.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

When I began to acrue more inventory than I could handle I knew it was time to start selling my products. I had just heard about Etsy on some blogs and thought this would be a great way to start. My friend and I brainstormed some shop names and she came up with Seamingly Sarah. It was perfect! I remain open to outside influences and offers of help because sometimes they are just what you need, a blessing.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

I really want people to know that (a) I love to create with fabric, (b) I truly believe each product they receive from me is made with love, pure, true, love and (c) I intend to create products that can be used over and over again, cutting down on the waste we produce in this life.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Words of advice? This question scares me because I deal with my own inner battle that I am a good enough artist. A large reason I started Seamingly Sarah was because I wanted to explore who I am as an artist and realize and accept my creativity - nourish and grow it. So the advice that has inspired me just to get started has been to (a) just do it, we have so many ideas go through our heads yet rarely follow through, take a step, even a small one, (b) only do it if you enjoy the process, don't get hung up on the results and (c) find a mantra to counter attack your deepest fears - mine is "I am a valuable artist"

__________________

Great! Now go and see Sarah's shop and come back and leave a comment!

No comments: