Thursday, April 1, 2010

FEATURED ARTIST

We are getting back to our artist features and this is a knitter. I would like to introduce you to



Come meet the artist, Crystal -

Briefly describe what you make?

I make knitted photography props mainly for newborns. I do offer larger sizes in the hats but most of my listings are for newborn photography.
I knit beanies, Elf/Pixie hats, slings, cocoons, pods/bowls and I also offer organic dyed cheesecloth that can also be used as slings and wraps.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I would think, by far, my favorite would be handspun merino wool. It is such a wonderful thing to use when knitting and it's so soft. Some of my best yarns have come from Etsy fiber artists.

How long have you been creating craft?

I've been knitting for a few years now. My mom taught me how to crochet when I was a little girl but I never really did anything with it. It wasn't until I started knitting that I actually got interested.

How did you get started?

I got started by coming to Etsy here and there looking for photo props of my own. I would look around but never really buy anything and then I realized that I could make the items I wanted on my own. I then started hats and cocoons for friends in my real life and also for photographers I had met online. I then realized that people actually wanted what I sold and I was urged to open up a shop on Etsy so the circle of photographers I associated with could pick and choose what they wanted and the business just branched off from there.


Where does the name of your shop come from?

Since all of my pieces are personal to me I also wanted my shop name to be personal. I wanted to incorporate my name in some way but I didn't want it to be my name.
My name is Crystal Katherine Connell
I took my initials "CKC" and came up with 'Country Knit Cocoon'. It was the first thing I came up with and it all worked so well together.
I do, indeed live out in the country (a little too far out). All of my items are knit and I make cocoons.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

I would want people to know that although it is very time consuming it is what I love to do. Every piece is different even if it looks like one I've sold before. My knitting comes with me everywhere and it's nice to know that something I knit and put so much effort into is being loved by someone else. I absolutely love when I get a convo from a buyer and attached to it they have a photo of a sweet little baby either wearing it or in it (as in the slings and cocoons).

I love that it's all handmade by me while watching a good movie or while watching my own little ones playing in the yard or just being crazy in the house.
Just knowing that every piece is personal (to me at least) is what makes it all so worth it.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

My advice would be to do what you love. If you do what you love the rest will come easy. If you do what you love the hard work does not seem so hard. That is how I look at it. Sometimes I have to step back for a minute and remember why I do this. I do it because I love it and when it comes to the point where I no longer love it I will stop doing it.

_______________________

Y9u must see the really nice work that Crystal does and it is all for sale at her online shop. Leave her a c0mment here in appreciation!

No comments: