Thursday, March 4, 2010

FEATURED ARTIST

We have an interview for you with an artist you takes what is old and makes them new and exciting again. Come with me and meet



Here is our interview with the artist, Jillian -
(lack of capital letters is Jillian's)

Briefly describe what you make?

i illustrate images on porcelain or glass wares. i typically find vintage pieces, but sometimes am able to find out of business vendors in my local area who are liquidating. i like the idea of combining my art with function and making something interactive.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

my favorite medium to wok with is using pen and ink on paper, followed by ceramics or glass. i love the way it feels holding a good ink pen, i get excited about it and i could talk about pens and paper for long enough to make people question my sanity. i also love photography, and work part time as a photographer.

How long have you been creating craft?

i have been illustrating for myself and for gifts to people i know my entire life. some periods more frequently than other periods. i opened my etsy shop in late october and have been have been focusing on vintage wares since then.

How did you get started?

i debated for a long time. i was uncertain if i was making the right choice and if my work would sell at all. i have a wonderful supportive family and figured i would open my etsy shop to see what would happen. i told myself that if i only sold to family members for the first couple of months, i would take the hint and focus on building my photography work base instead of selling illustrated pieces. i opened my shop and quickly realized i was making the right choice regardless if i was a popular seller or not. i loved it and knew i had to keep doing it for me.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

22 pages is a literary reference from the book catch 22 by joseph heller. i feel that the paradox of a catch 22 is more frequent than most people realize and i try to envision myself moving gracefully through those paradoxes as gracefully as turning the pages of a novel.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

it's all original and done by my hand. i've tremendous respect for people who use stock images or who mass produce their original images in their own projects. i realize that can be every bit as challenging and rewarding as what i do. for me, i love the idea that every piece i make is varied . i love the slight imperfections that seem to be rare in a world of ever growing perfect printed font and sharper than anything graphic designed images.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

there is so much about a blank paper or canvas that is intimidating. it's price as well as it's lack of failure or flaws. it can be compared to the images and ideas of what we are supposed to achieve or what society expects of us each individually.
learn that it's ok to mess up once in a while, it's ok to not be perfect and we don't always need to improve or get better with every project. holding patterns and regressions are fine and they can often lead us to other places we wouldn't have otherwise found.
i can't believe how long it took me to start putting my art out there. i had put so many expectations in my work before i started, it was challenging to begin. it wasn't the bank papers fault because that's what blank things do, they reflect what is standing right in front of them.

_______________________________

Come take a look at 22pages - and leave a comment to let Jillian know what you think!

No comments: