Thursday, November 12, 2009

FEATURED ARTIST

We have an artist that works in a very different medium - fragrance. I would like you to meet




Here is our interview with Karina -

Briefly describe what you make?

My name is Karina, and I live in New York City although I'm originally from Toronto Canada. I moved to the States in 2003, and love living in such a dynamic and exciting place like New York! My American-born husband, Richard, helps out greatly with my shop and has now become a soap addict too.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I love working with different fragrance oils and blending "odd" ones together to create a fantastic new scent. There's something wonderful about a buyer smelling my soap at a show and going "Oh wow this smells REALLY good" --- to give them a scent combo they wouldn't have perhaps experienced elsewhere is very special to me.

How long have you been creating craft?

Since 2001...I went full-time with Soap That Makes Scents in 2006.

How did you get started?

I went to England on a business trip, and in-between banquets and conferences, it became pretty boring just hanging around the hotel. I discovered a soap-making class not too far away and went on a whim just to have something to do. I didn't believe in love at first sight until then. After I returned to Canada (where I'm originally from) I took a few more locally-based workshops as well as some business classes, and my dream began.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

I would love to say that I thought long and hard about this and then had a great vision in the middle of the night as it would make a fantastic story..but, alas, it was just a moment of quick brainstorming one rainy afternoon. The name definately fits, wouldn't you say?

What would you most want people to know about your work?

A bar of soap is the simplest and most environment-loving way to get yourself clean.
At Soap That Makes Scents, we believe in minimal packaging. We believe in small batches to ensure freshness. And we believe that using high-quality ingredients should not mean that we have to sacrifice low pricing for you.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Do not expect a flock of buyers in your store the moment you list your first item. Networking is extremely important all of the time, but even moreso in the beginning stages of your business. It does take time to build a customer base, and things won't happen magically overnight no matter how original and exciting your items are. Promote to your target audience instead of just everywhere you can---you'll save a lot of time, energy and money this way.
____________________

Very different and a craft product that everyone has a use for - and great gift items too! Come and take a look at this shop - and then come on back here and leave a comment for Karina!

No comments: