Sunday, May 18, 2008

Featured Artist

Here is an artist who focuses her work on mothers and daughters and she makes really cute things. Come and meet



Here is our interview with the artist, Charlene -


Describe what you make?


I make jewelry for Sassy Children & Hip Modern Mamas.

What mediums do you enjoy working in most?

I mostly work with Swarovski Crystals & Cat's Eye Beads and I only use Sterling Silver findings.

How long have you been creating craft and how did you get started?

I have always done something creative. As a child I was the one always coloring, drawing and collaging. This love of creativity continued through High School and eventually on to an Interior Design program in college. After many classes of painting, drawing, sculpture and design, I started to develop my own "style". I went out into the working world as a junior designer at an Architectural firm. My career progressed very nicely and I absolutely loved what I was doing. Still, all the while, I knew I wanted to start using my creative energies in a more personal way. But I was still searching for that perfect . . .thing. I envied people who had found their passion and could just lose all sense of time when they were creating.

Shortly after my first daughter was born in 2001, I began to look for a way to release some creative energy while caring for a newborn. I tried scrapbooking - not for me. I tossed around some ideas of starting my own design business but that was just overwhelming and not personal enough. Then one day I woke up, literally, and thought . . . jewelry. It really was just that simple.

I went out that very afternoon and started poking around some local craft shops. Honestly, I got a little carried away. It feels like I bought the entire store's inventory of beads, gemstones, stringing materials, findings, etc. I found that making jewelry was another form of sculpture, only you could wear it! I then poured myself into learning everything I could, and made my own designs. I'm STILL learning!

I decided that this was a great opportunity to start my own business. I had always wanted to, but never had anything to sell or the time to put into it. At this point in my life I had both. It's now 5 years later. I added two more "bugs" to my nest and they are growing along with my business.

Where does the name of your shop come from?

Beetle Creek Jewelry is the name I first started this business with. It is the "parent", so to speak, to Little Bugs Boutique. When I started the children's collection, I felt like it needed it's own name. Since this was a collection for LITTLE women, I went with LITTLE BUGS.

What would you most want people to know about your work?

What do I want people to know most? Little Bugs Boutique is also home to Bitty Block Pendants & Charms. This is my newest item and I have so many ideas for this collection. Bitty Block can be found at http;//www.bittyblock.etsy.com.

What words of advice do you have for other artists?

Words of advice. Just recently I started using those sticky labels (found them on ebay) when printing my Paypal shipping labels. It has been a MAJOR time saver!

______________________

Wonderful things are to be found at this shop and there are other sites from this artist to check out as well.

Don't miss http://www.littlebugsboutique.com
and
http://www.littlebugsboutique.blogspot.com

No comments: